· Sarguja University is a State University with status to status of affiliation (affiliated university) established in 2008 to cater the needs of higher education in the Sarguja region. The region consists of thick forest, tribal and deprived section of the society trails in higher education not only in comparison to national GER but also the higher education GER of the State of Chhattisgarh. There is a serious dearth of higher education and the resources required for the purpose. Therefore, the University needs special central assistance in proportion of 90:10 since it has different place in higher education even in comparison to the other parts of the State of Chhattisgarh. The equality most be among the equals and not amongst the unequal. The provision of reasonable classification incorporated in the in Article 14 of the Indian Constitution provides adequate basis for reasonable classification in favor of the Sarguja University and the Bastar University to be placed in formula One for the purpose of the contribution in Grant at the rate of 90:10.
· The University has recent genesis in 2008. Result of it, it runs negligible no. of academic programmes due to the shortage and dearth of resources; financial, infrastructural, human etc.
· The University therefore, runs post graduate programme at its campus only in two academic programmes in addition to two diploma courses. Since the University does not have its own building to run the academic programmes therefore, runs these programmes in a hostel of the Govt. Rajmohini Devi Girls PG College purely on ad-hoc basis.
· The University runs one UG programme under the Faculty of Engineering in its constituent college situated in Lakhanpur.
· The University other than the B.E. programme does not run any under graduate programme at it campus in different faculties or through constituent college.
· The University runs UG programme of different faculties in the form of B.A., B.Sc., B. Com., B.B.A., B.Ed. etc. through the colleges affiliated to it.
· The University runs PG programme of different faculties in the form of M.A., M.Sc., M. Com., etc. through the colleges affiliated to it.
· The geographical jurisdiction of the University extends to 5 administrative/revenue districts of the State of Chhattisgarh. This includes Sarguja, Surajpur, Korea, Jashpur and Balrampur.
· The University caters the academic needs of this region through external study programme at PG and UG level through different academic courses.
· The University at present consists of 66 colleges in this region.
· The University has already planned to introduce PG programmes at it campus from the academic year 2014-15 both in traditional and contemporary disciplines with applied and functional approach through innovative and job oriented courses to ensure contemporary, competitive and practical knowledge through teaching and research based approach. This will help to shape their prudence, intelligence and knowledge in such a way that they can serve society, nation, international community and humanity in addition to their carrier. This will cover all the schools of knowledge including Arts, Science, Commerce, Social Science/Humanities, Fine-Arts, Law, and Engineering etc. This will help in better placement in their carrier too.
· The University has designed the road-map of such courses. The University has already planned to introduce these courses through the academic reforms suggested by the UGC. This includes semester system, continuous evaluation, internal evaluation and semester end evaluation, grading system and choice based credit system with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary subjects. This will also includes self study programme, distance study, field work, extension activities, project reports etc. The University has already prepared proposed enactment for the purpose.
· The University focuses on to increase access and equity in higher education through several programmes and approach. The University for this purpose has primary goal to ensure access and equity for local population dominated mainly by tribal population, population from deprived, disadvantaged, vulnerable and physically challenged section of the society. At the same time the University will put all efforts to ensure access of outside section of the society to develop competition in learning, research and innovations. The University for this purpose shall work through the tools suggested and goals set under the RUSA. While doing so, the university will keep the vision statement, the mission statement and the directive principles of University policy prepared for the purpose in the form of University Resolutions.
· The University will set target at par with global standards and expectations to ensure excellence in the education for the purpose to call attraction of students for higher education; second, the University will improve its institutions policy, academic, and managerial practices for the purpose. The University will regulate its higher education system by developing sufficient capabilities to plan and implement higher education in the university system.
· To enable equity in the higher education, the university will develop special infrastructure in forms of girls hostels, toilets at suitable places and appropriate no. of girls common room. The University has planned to develop system to reserve atleast 50% seats for marginalized persons and a separate hostel for SC/ST and OBC. Ramps, tactile pathways special facilities and equipments for differently abled persons will be developed and maintained.
· The University, keeping significance of quality education in mind, develop, achieve and maintain standards and norms required for the purpose. The University for this purpose, will develop contemporary, functional and demand driven academic programmes in the university. The focus will further light on research, innovations, extension activities, project work, field work, self study courses, study through educational tours, problem studies, interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary courses attached with each and every academic programme. The University for this purpose will develop and modernize research facilities by setting up research centers, laboratories and center facilities in all the disciplines and develop industry-university partnership, societal awareness managerial skills and well trained man power engaged in the different activities of the university and the departments there off.
(a) Introducing new PG programs in emerging thrust areas such as Functional Hindi, Functional English, Human Rights & Humanitarian Laws, Developmental Studies, Habitat Studies, Social Work, Rural & Tribal Studies, Disaster Management, Management and Commerce, Nanotechnology, Environment Science and Bioinformatics, Clinical Research, and Performing Arts. In future, the University has plan to introduce different academic programmes of different level including the Crash courses with practical and functional approach in Chhattisgarh art, culture, handicrafts and folk.
(b) Development of modern state of art research laboratories and facilities; Central and Departmental level.
(c) Develop modern university library with traditional and contemporary classification of resources based on author, title, issue, problem and topic based cataloging. The library facilities will be regulated entirely through the automation, mechanism, with provision of digital/e-library.
(d)Introduction of effective teaching and research resources by combination of traditional and modern methods and equipments. The University may plan to introduce cooperative and group teaching.
(e) Setting-up of modern central sophisticated facility for advanced research and natural history museum for enrichment of students’ knowledge and preservation of available natural resources
(f) Strengthening of R&D activities through related consultancy and research management services
(g) Introduction of effective career counseling and development center (CCDC) for enhancing job opportunities and English proficiency for students.
(h) Strengthening of digital exam evaluation system and ICT based administrative procedures and enhancing participatory management in academic, administrative and financial affairs
(i) Strengthening of extension activities and profession oriented short term and long term courses
(j) Paper setting through workshop method.
(k) Introduction of the new trend of question papers consists of the different types of the question papers effective and up to evaluates all faculties of mind and capacities of students. This will include the traditional method of questions and the criteria adapted in the NET and Civil Services examinations. The questions will be ascertained to judge the analytical, comparative and critical capacity of the students along with the rational capacity of their mind.
Map to University